Ways to Lose Weight – Practical Steps
Dr. Rodriguez writes, “According to the World Health Organization, worldwide more than one billion adults are overweight and at least three hundred million of them are obese…It is expected that the U.S. overweight population will be at about 70 percent in 2009.” Regarding our next generation of young people, children (ages 6-11) and adolescents (ages 12-19) found to be overweight are doubled when compared with those of the 1970′s. We are literally eating ourselves to death.
Weight Loss Costs
Americans spend nearly $33 billion annually on weight-loss products and services on this pandemic problem. In addition, over $100 billion annually is spent on medically-related expenses due to obesity. With no sign of decline, the costs keep skyrocketing among our “civilized” society. So what can you do from becoming part of our statistical woes? Simply, be proactive, plan to overcome obstacles, and make the necessary changes for healthier living…
Ways to Lose Weight – Practical Steps
Are you looking for practical ways to lose weight and keep it off for a lifetime? If I can do it, so can you! I don’t make this claim boastfully or flippantly. Rather, I say it to encourage you to get started immediately on the “doing-part” of living more vitally. The complete answer for weight loss is not found exclusively when combining diet with regular exercise. Another facet of weight loss should be considered, such as renewing your mind about your body and your intentions to move forward. Will you dare to break stubborn unhealthy habits for fantastic results? Will you initially make changes that seem uncomfortable against your complacent lifestyle? Will you learn to bask in the rhythm of healthy living? Don’t wait any longer! Here are some steps that I took to lifelong weight management, even against the backdrop of physical hardships.
Make the Commitment
- Spiritual Offering. I knew I needed to offer my body and soul as a living sacrifice to God. I know that I have an eternal connection as one with God through His Son. Losing weight and living healthier, though I live in chronic pain, was my rational service to Him, as well as my spiritual expression to others.
- Renewal of mindset. With having a Doctor of Chiropractic degree, I already had extensive education regarding holistic fitness. My journey has not been as focused on the outer body, as it has been on the brokenness from chronic pain. Going deep has led me to help clarify the massive fragmentation about the inner world to those who also struggle similarly.
- Establish Baseline. I consulted my family physician to acquire proper testing, physical examination and blood analysis, as well as medication assistance to regulate an imbalanced metabolic rate and high cholesterol. Attain a baseline about your health to ensure safety and direction regarding your journey.
Maintain the Commitment
- Behavioral Modification. My vision included the following: Do not doubt. Do not fear. Do not be discouraged. Remain strong in faith. Do not compare yourself to anyone else. Be disciplined. Do not stop. God, my body is yours. Be skinny. Believe…
- Moderation Thinking. Taking the approach that life is a marathon, I avoided fast-paced dietary plans, such as those which promote high protein-low carbohydrate intake exclusively. I remained consistent with losing 1-1.5 pounds per week, no matter how long the pilgrimage was going to last. I focused objectively on getting reshaped in every area of my life.
- Visualize. When making choices to exercise or choosing what foods to eat, I simply visualized the desired outcomes. For example, my belly shook when I walked on the treadmill. I then envisioned my mid-section getting smaller. Another example is whenever I craved ice cream for dessert; I imagined visually of putting extra pounds onto my waistline. In essence, I trained my body. I didn’t allow my sweetened cravings to dictate my new beginnings.
- Contemplative Thinking & Prayer. Not in sarcasm or cynicism or wishing, but in discovering a Spirit-led life, as to know how to stay on the path of transformation. Also, I found that during times of deep reflection and prayer, there seemed to be a direct correlation between introspection and losing excess water weight.
- Dietary. Within this website under the section “Ways to Lose Weight – Dietary Considerations,” in more specifics, I have outlined the dietary regime I undertook to lose 50 pounds. As a reminder, my revised dietary program centered around certain limitations of chronic pain, such as not having enough energy to shop for food and prepare six meals per day. Instead, I created my own nutritional process, gleaning solid principles from many other diet plans. With enough knowledge, you can do this as well for yourself.
- Vitamin Supplements. Basically, the diet science endorses the use of daily supplements of B12. As part of my daily routine, I supplemented my food nutrition with Ultra Mega Dietary Supplements, which offer sufficient doses of macro and micronutrients. Other than that, I took about 2,500 mg of Vitamin C daily to boost immune system function.
- Exercise. Two years ago, I literally started from scratch in an attempt to exercise again. I began walking around an outdoor middle school track with my mother-in-law. She proved to be a great source of encouragement. We walked a few laps around the track at a very casual pace, nothing significant in terms of increasing our heartbeats or pulse rates. There was greater concern about re-injury for me.In essence, I started slowly, but steadily…Walking…then walking longer distances…then finally, treadmill walking longer distances at faster rates for 30 minute intervals, six times per week. Did you know that fast walking burns as many calories as slow running or heavy exercise?
- Sleep. In an attempt to better regulate my sleeping habits, I usually turn in for the evening around 10:00-10:30 p.m. However, chronic pain prevents uninterrupted sleep patterns. Nonetheless, I highly recommend adequate sleep for restorative and metabolic purposes.
When deciding to make permanent lifestyle changes, you can expect to continually learn new techniques about holistic fitness. When you are serious about discovering ways to lose weight, dare to think and move forward in better health. Read more about weight loss and related topics throughout this site. Thank you for stopping by…